Do you plan on firing up the grill this BBQ season?
When attending or hosting a gathering like a summer BBQ, it can be tricky to stay on track with your nutrition goals. There can be so many distractions that result in mindless eating while socializing. Avoid backsliding with your progress by setting yourself up for success before the BBQ even begins!
Here are 6 tips to use for a healthy BBQ:
- Try to avoid sugar-sweetened beverages and focus on water.
- Pro-tip: set a water goal and keep your water bottle close by.
#2- Set an alcohol limit and keep up with your drinks!
- Some clients find it helpful to keep track of their drinks by putting something in their pocket each time they drink a beverage.
- Make sure to have a water after each drink!
#3- Plan to exercise!
- Try to get a walk or workout in before the BBQ. Research shows that exercising before a social event can encourage healthier choices and moderation.
- Don’t use exercise as an excuse to overeat or overindulge!
#4- Skip the pasta and opt for salad!
- Bring or plan on including a salad instead of carb heavy pasta options that are usually found at a BBQ.
#5– Focus on lean proteins!
- Go for chicken, sirloin, filet, seafood, or other lean protein sources to save on unnecessary calories.
#6- Include veggies and fill-up on those first!
- The more color the better! Grilling bell peppers, summer squash, red onion, mushrooms, and zucchini can be a great way to add lots of color to your plate.
When you’re hanging out socializing, try not to stand around the food table. Portion out your serving on a plate and move away from the food. Lots of mindless eating can happen when the food is right in front of you!
Enjoy your BBQ season and stay healthy!